19 February 2020
Foundation HITZ Officer
5 February 2020
Role – Foundation HITZ Officer
Closing date – 28/02/2020
Salary - £20,000 - £22,000 per annum, dependant on experience
Due to the growing reach and delivery of the London Irish Foundation, there is an exciting opportunity for a HITZ Officer, to work and focus on the award winning HITZ programme which tackles some of the greatest challenges facing young people today including unemployment, crime and disillusionment.
The HITZ programme is delivered nationally by Premiership Rugby and funded by partners Land Rover and Wooden Spoon. HITZ uses rugby to increase young people’s resilience, self-reliance and confidence whilst working to give the students the skills to get back into education, vocational training, apprenticeships and employment.
This position will require a specific skill set and ability to engage positively and build relationships with challenging young people. You will also be expected to be able to communicate with a wide range of strategic partners, with recruitment a key aspect in the process of bringing pupils onto the programme.
To work with local authorities, youth offending teams, neighbourhood teams, youth groups, schools, PRU’s and other local agencies and to encourage and grow relationships, understand and drive the recruitment strategy along with other policies to assist the development of HITZ within the Foundation.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Role to Supply:
- To work closely with the Foundation Manager
- To be responsible for high quality delivery and social inclusion sessions as agreed in the programme
- To keep accurate monitoring and attendance records for all sessions and contribute to the gathering and analysis of evaluation information for activities and individuals within those activities.
- To work closely and in partnership with a dedicated education tutor to provide young people with access to functional skills and foundation learning courses.
- Work in partnership with education providers and support functional skills and foundation learning courses in the classroom.
- To identify and follow up potential opportunities to develop activities in line with the strategic development of the HITZ programme.
- Work together with Premiership Rugby’s HITZ lead, to ensure the national programme continues to move forward.
- To identify and encourage young people onto relevant education, training, volunteering opportunities, work placements and apprenticeships.
- Have a clear understanding of safeguarding policies and procedures.
- Have an in-depth knowledge of safeguarding policies and procedures.
- To develop a comprehensive and detailed yearly enrichment timetable which will support and compliment the education programme
- Identify suitable learners through creating recruitment opportunities with outside partners and agencies
- To always maintain high levels of behavioural management.
- To understand current funding streams and experience of writing funding applications.
- Support learners with life skills and mentor them through issues affecting their day to day life.
- To organise, set up, lead and coordinate sport sessions at identified venues, coordinating competitions and other events as appropriate. All activities should be appropriate to the needs of the target audience and be in line with the HITZ strategic aims.
- To assist in other areas of work within the London Irish Foundation, where necessary. This may include school delivery, match day events, rugby camps, festivals and other community engagement programmes and will include working evenings and weekends
- Engagement of social media whilst working closely with the manager on the clear social media strategy.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Experience of working as a team member.
- A proven track record with the ability to recruit and retain learners.
- Experience of working with NEETs and students not engaged in mainstream education.
- Experience of sports development
- Experience of developing and maintaining working relationships with stakeholders in other organisations
- Good organisation and time management skills
- Experience of leading a group of youngsters within a testing and diverse environment
- Excellent communication and motivation skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- A passion for sport and an understanding of wider issues relating to sport, health and education
- An enthusiastic and committed individual who will ‘go the extra mile’ to deliver results
- Full and clean driving license
- First Aid qualification
- DBS Checked
To apply, please email an introductory letter and CV to email@example.com